View My Stats

Friday, February 12, 2010

Interview with Men's Captain Mark Vyzas





1. Before coming to Syracuse you had never picked up an oar in your life. Describe the journey from being a novice to varsity oarsman and captain of the team your senior year.
I became involved with rowing because a few guys on my floor were friends with the guys on the team. I contacted the freshmen coach and was explained the tryout process. Eventually, I made the team after the month long tryout. I raced a few times my first year and as an upperclassmen I put in extras over the years. Being selected captain I think was a result of seeing how hard I worked even though I did not always compete on race day.


2. What are some of the changes and progress you have noticed over your four years with the team?
Our team is very close. We are all good friends. In terms of the team itself the ability from top to bottom has improved and the drop off from the top end to the bottom of the squad isn't as dramatic in past years. This years team handles adversity well and together we overcome the challenges we face
.

3. What is the best thing about being an athlete at Syracuse?
People look at you differently. There is an aura of respect you get from your peers because of the acknowledgment of being held to a higher standard.


4. What are your plans post graduation?
I will be going to grad school for healthcare administration. I've applied to GWU, Georgetown, Xavier, and Columbia. I'm should hear back around mid March or early April.

No comments:

Post a Comment