View My Stats

Monday, February 15, 2010

The CRASH-Bs...

Spending Valentine's Day at the Charles River Association of Sculling Has-Beens' annual painfest is not your typical romantic getaway - unless your idea of romance is jacking up your lactic acid to levels that would require emergency intervention in the general populace.

This being my first foray into the weird world of stationary erg racing, I didn't know what to expect. Fortunately, SARA Prez Tracy Smith took care of all the thinking, and all I had to do was comply with her directions. For a tall rower, she's a great cox'n.

Jeff Schaeffer was also in attendance, looking well and hearty and glad to be back. And Ham Dixon's world class performance was one of the truly notable events at a day filled with world records and personal bests.

Me, I've never been much of a fan of the erg (probably because I had to follow Tom Darling in a testing session once, and try as I might, couldn't come close to his 3600 on the old Gamut...), but the Crash-Bs were actually enjoyable. A welcome break from sitting on the erg in the basement watching old video of the 2002 Tour de France.

For you younger athletes out there, think on this. A 51 year old Italian gentleman pulled a 6:11.3.

Coach Weiss, he may have a few years of eligibility left...

No comments:

Post a Comment