View My Stats

Friday, May 6, 2011

Chelsea Macpherson Off to the Big Apple...


story and photo courtesy of SU Athletics

SYRACUSE – Senior rower Chelsea Macpherson received a Merit Scholarship to Columbia University where she will attend graduate school this upcoming fall. Macpherson will study for her doctorate in physical therapy and specialize in geriatrics. She recently sat in the sixth seat at the BIG EAST Championship on May 1 as the team placed fourth.

The Merit Scholarship is only offered to two applicants in the incoming class. It was awarded based on GPA, extra-curricular activities and work ethic.

“When I first went to the interview to go to Columbia, they told us there were very limited scholarships and told us to not plan on getting one. I worked very hard academically, but Columbia is a great school and I did not plan on getting a scholarship,” said Macpherson.

Her ambitions include going onto medical school after earning her degree in physical therapy with the intention of becoming a family doctor.

“[Geriatrics] is a large population that is going to need a lot of help and there is very little help for it,” said Macpherson. “I would also like a public health degree. I really like school,” she said.

The discipline and values developed from rowing have helped Macpherson in the classroom and will continue to do so as she makes the journey to New York City.

“That discipline of trying to get better also translates into the classroom. I am constantly trying to get better. Throughout my college career, I have consistently raised my GPA every semester. My efforts in the classroom are reflective of what I’ve learned from rowing,” she said.

When asked what she wants legacy at SU to be remembered as Macpherson mentioned her hard work.

“That is what I’ve strived to be during my career [a hard worker]. I really wanted to show you can overcome anything. You can really get fast, improve in academics. You can’t let things affect you. To see how far I’ve come because of hard work, I want to be remembered for it,” Macpherson said.

She missed part of the 2007 season due to a torn labrum, and the entire 2009-10 term with the same injury.

Head coach Justin Moore has been quoted saying that she has contributed to the team in both tangible and intangible ways.

“As the oldest member of such a young team, Macpherson leads by example,” said Moore.

No comments:

Post a Comment